Dear Friends of Farm to Freezer,
The news has travelled far and wide that Farm to Freezer will be among this year’s ideas worth sharing at TEDxManhattan’s “Changing the Way We Eat” conference. Cheryl Kollin will present our innovative startup on the TEDx stage. Although we all can’t travel to see her present in New York, co-hosts Bethesda Green and Full Plate Ventures invite you to our own local viewing party right here in Bethesda. The day-long conference will be streamed live from New York on the two viewing screens at Bethesda Green. During our lunch break from the conference, you can learn about our burgeoning local food movement and new initiatives in Montgomery County.
Check out the following itinerary for detailed information about the day:
10:00am Meet and greet over coffee and muffins
10:30-12:15pm TEDxManhattan Session 1: Inform
12:15-1:30pm Local Lunch Potluck Challenge: Bring a seasonal dish to share
- If you join us for lunch, please bring a seasonal, locally-grown and/or locally produced food–homemade is encouraged– to share for 6 people according to the category by last name. Honest Tea, hot tea, and coffee will be provided. There is a refrigerator but there are no warming facilities.
- A-H appetizers, bread, cheeses, spreads, veggies
- I-P main dishes, side dishes
- Q-Z desserts including fruit
Local Food Panel Discussion
Moderator: Cheryl Newman, VP, Deputy Chief of Mission, Honest Tea
- Montgomery County Food Council celebrates its first year! Cheryl Newman, Council Chair, shares the Council’s accomplishments
- Farms in Montgomery County? Dick Stoner, Stoner Family Farm has been reviewing the County zoning revisions. He shares how proposed revisions may impact the farms and local food you’ve come to love.
- Food Insecurity: Jenna Umbria, Nutritionist, Manna Food Center. Good nutrition, good taste, and food security go hand in hand; Jenna will talk about Manna’s local sourcing program that provides fresh produce for their clients.
- A Caterer You Can Feel Good About Kit Wood, owner of Green Plate Catering talks about how their catering is good for you and good for the planet; it’s local, seasonal, sustainable, and organic.
- Now That’s Local! Mixed Greens Market opened last year because all the other groceries in Poolesville had closed. Store owner, Monica Breland talks about how her market serves both local farmers and customers.
1:30-3:20pm TEDxManhattan Session 2: Educate
3:20-4pm Afternoon Stretch and Chat
- Chat with others about what you’ve heard and learned in the TEDx and local discussion sessions.
4-5:40pm TEDxManhattan Session 3: Empower
4:40pm TEDxManhattan Speaker Challenge Winner, Cheryl Kollin, Full Plate Ventures will speak about Farm to Freezer.
5:40-6:00pm Final thoughts: Lessons learned
Please drop in as your schedule allows, but if you intend on attending any part of the day, register for Free on Bethesda Green’s MEET- UP here. Registration is free, but space is limited. Register today!
Directions to Bethesda Green can be found here.
For more information about TEDxManhattan, visit: www.tedxmanhattan.org
We look forward to seeing you there!